Body Positivity And An Open Letter To Protein World

Hey guys! :) If you are reading this I am guessing you are aware of the current issues surrounding health supplement brand Protein World.

Before I begin my open letter I would just like to put my own views across. I think we can all safely say that there's always going to be room for improvement in our lives. Whether we need to exercise more, eat healthier, drink more water, study more etc. If you follow me on twitter (@xhc__and instagram(@__xhc) you may have watched me change my lifestyle from the start. I've been through my ups and downs. Haven't we all?  I was really unhappy with myself, especially my appearance. I always felt ill and felt like a slug half the time where I had no energy.  I decided to make a positive change in my life. Not to conform to the ideals of perfection set out by the beauty and media industry, but for me, I wanted to feel good about myself. Since then I have overcome an eating disorder, depression, anxiety, lost over 30lbs and feel pretty damn good. All positive things. 


Happy with my body because its mine! If you don't like how I look, your problem! :)
I now promote self acceptance all over social media, no matter what your size, and if you want to take up a healthier lifestyle then great. But I am not going to tell you how to live your life. You are bikini ready no matter what your size. Whether you are male, female, short, tall, curvy, slim, you do your own thing, wear what you want and rock it with confidence. So lets get this letter started ;)

"Dear Protein World,

May I first start off by stating that this is not a hate campaign towards you. I myself advocate healthy lifestyles. I am a lover of good healthy food, fitness and working towards a body I am comfortable in. I can see that people are very angry by your advertisement, and I understand why, although it doesn't affect me personally. It is very much open for interpretation just as any other ad is. I would imagine that your intention was to motivate and inspire people to be the best they can be, to endorse good health and fitness. 

What shocked me more than the advertisement is the way you addressed the public's concerns over social media. One woman expressed her feelings and you replied that her insecurities were not your problem. Personally, the emoji that finished the tweet added to the insensitivity and belittlement towards her concern. Furthermore, your CEO replied with “it sounds like Juliette had a lot of issues before she saw the PW ad” followed by “so she does have a mental health condition”. Have you no idea the damage comments such as this cause to those suffering with mental health conditions. Would it not have been more rewarding to help this woman with her issue? The satisfaction from helping someone overcome the struggles of a mental health related disorder is something you simply cannot buy.

Perhaps people’s insecurities are not your problem. But aren't you a supplement company which bases its sales around people who are wanting to better their bodies? So really, your company thrives off the insecurities of others in some circumstances. You could address them in a sympathetic manner. 

As a health supplement company surely the overall physical and mental health of your customers and future customers should be a priority? Do you not want those who have issues with their self-esteem and body image to look up to you? Or are you simply a quick fix company trying to make a fast buck? It appears that you do not have a care in the world for anyone other than yourselves and that you will do whatever it takes to sell your product, no matter how controversial it may be.

Have you not thought that people are going to start questioning the celebrities that endorse your product? You benefit from them because they promote you, and they benefit because you are providing them with free supplements. It’s a great marketing strategy I'll admit, but sooner or later when they realise a lot of people are angry with your company they may begin to change their minds on whether they want to be involved with you. You have to remember that their reputation will potentially be tarnished because of this uproar.

There are so many people out there, including myself, trying to advocate body confidence, good physical and mental health, as well as positivity. You have done well to set up a business with thousands of followers and no doubt thousands of consumers. But your lack of understanding and empathy for the matters of the public is unfortunately where you will crash and burn. You had the perfect platform to promote wellbeing of others, to help people overcome their insecurities, to inspire others to lead healthier lifestyles. Potentially you could have played a huge role in helping individuals overcome all sorts of personally issues, perhaps even eating disorders. But you've well and truly let us down. Some of your tweets actually insinuate fat shaming. I promote a healthy diet, but does that mean I am going to ridicule anyone who doesn't choose to live their life the way I would? No. It's a personal choice.

It now appears that you are running an anti-feminist campaign via social media, even if it is by retweeting others. You are doing an extremely good job of narrowing down potential customers. There are hundreds of other supplement providers out there who do not belittle the feelings and opinions of the public. No one can deny that they aren't motivated by seeing fit models. For me that is not the issue. It's your attitude, specifically the attitude of the individual behind your twitter account.

Yours sincerely,
Hannah Chapman"

I always try to see arguments from all angles, however, this was one thing I couldn't simply ignore. I feel the need to express my worry of the repercussions of this campaign, especially the way they are dealing with those who are unhappy with it.

To end this post I wanted to give a few tips that helped me learn to love and accept myself for who I am...

1. Write a list of 10 things that you like about yourself. It can be anything - personality or appearance wise. Like your eyes? Write it down! Are you caring... write it down :P Anything you can think of as long as its positive. Put it somewhere that you won't forget. Each time you are having a low moment take it out and read it to yourself. Believe it. Add to it!

2. When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are a sexy bitch. Go do it now, its funny and makes you smile. Plus you will start to believe it, a win win situation.

3. Embrace being unique. It's cliché, I know, but if we were all the same it would be pretty dull. You may be different to others and that's fine. You may not realise this but the differences amongst us are what people fall in love with and adore. The way you laugh, smile, how you stand up for what you believe in, how you aren't afraid to go against the grain - inspire people, don't be afraid to be yourself.

4. Make an effort with your appearance. One that can sometimes be extremely hard when you are feeling worthless. Paint your nails, get creative with your makeup, try out new hairstyles. Oh and theres nothing wrong with treating yourselves to some new clothes or a spa day :P Invest in your happiness (but don't rack up some huge credit card bill - I would not recommend that)


Body Positivity! Thank you for all who sent in via twitter <3

I will be doing a full blog post on finding happiness within yourself. It will also go a little deeper into why some of us develop mental health disorders in relation to neurotransmitter imbalance.

Have a beautiful day and remember that you are not worthless. Get yourself out there and pursue what you love, don't let anyone put you down no matter who you are, where you are from, or how you look! There will always be people who are negative about you accepting yourself but I personally couldn't imagine anything worse than living a life where you hate yourself. Have some courage, believe in yourself a little more. 





12 comments :

  1. Really enjoy this reading this blog, am not off to writ a list of 10 things I like about my self. I think you put you feeling in to world really well and hope your blog help other girls like it has help me reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this blog has helped me to realise what my goals are and how to achieve them. I think you offer a really fresh outlook to health and fitness and one that I admire. Your articles seem to beam in positivity and that speaks volumes about your character which I imagine is awesome! Keep it up, I'm thoroughly enjoying your input :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The content in this blog always make me feel amazed. Author thank you, because of you, i can resolve my assignment. jenis pendarahan pada ibu hamil muda, manfaat jagung untuk ibu hamil, penyakit abses gigi, penyakit alergi makanan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anang. Such a lovely comment, you have made my day :) x

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Anang. Such a lovely comment, you have made my day :) x

      Delete
  4. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet! cara mengobati asam lambung

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Genies <3 That is such a lovely comment to receive. I hope to be blogging again in the near future and you can expect more posts like this one.

      Delete

 

Popular Posts

Blog Post Updates Via Email

Contact Me!

Name

Email *

Message *