Yummy Banana 'Nice Cream' Recipe & Health benefits

Hey guys! So you may have seen from my Twitter and Instagram posts that I have gone on a little health kick recently. During my dissertation write up I was eating so much rubbish - take back to the post on my six Krispy Kreme week - and struggling to sleep, I had been awake over 40 hours at one point... I didn't know that was possible? Anyway, the point being that I needed to up my health game drastically.



Last night I began craving Ice Cream massively and decided to make a healthier alternative. I had seen a lot of pictures of marvelous looking "Nice Cream" and felt inspired. I'm currently house sitting so do not have my usual array of funky ingredients but I had bananas, cacao powder, mixed seeds and the amazing Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter by Peanut Butter & Co. This is literally the easiest dessert or snack to make... you could even have it for breakfast ;) 

Ingredients & how to make b-e-a-u-tiful nicecream

Two beautiful, ripe, frozen, numinums (Bananas... in five year old Hannah terms)
Cacao powder
1 tbsp of peanut butter
Mixed seeds for sprinkling

1. Pop your bananas in the freezer, this is a critical step otherwise you will have mush rather than frozen goodness.
2. Once frozen pop the bananas, a little cacao powder and the peanut butter into a bowl and whizz up with a hand whisk or alternatively use a blender or Nutribullet.
3. When the mixture has formed a Purée splodge kinda thing give it a little taste. Fancy a little more chocolate? Put in some more cacao powder and whizz up again.
4. Pour into a bowl, sprinkle your seeds on top and enjoy this heavenly concoction. 

I could guestimate the calories and macros in this, however, I'm trying to get myself away from counting as it makes me a little bit crazy. I know everything in this beauty is good for me!

Nice cream is so versatile. I didn't think adding espresso would be nice but I gave it a whirl anyway and then I think I fell in love <3 You could add frozen berries, avocado, chia seeds, sprinkle pistachio on top, add kiwis, papaya, mango, coconut milk, the possibilities are pretty much endless. If you want to get more greens in your life you could add for example spinach. Even if you don't like the taste it's all good because chances are it will be overpowered by another ingredient i.e. mango.


Same as recipe above but with two shots of espresso and a little full fat milk. Heavenly!

Health benefits of Bananas

These little babies come in at around 110 calories, 30g of carbohydrates and 1g of protein. They pack a massive nutritional punch and the thick yellow peel provides a convenient packaging. If like me you are often on the run you can always pop a few of these in your bag for a quick snack.

Heres a rough breakdown of the nutrients and vitamins bananas contain and their health benefits: 

Nice cream inspiration

Elenilenilentil I recently followed Lenilentil on Instagram and her food posts are to die for. The smoothie bowls she posts also caught my eye and look AMAZING in my opinion.  If you need breakfast inspiration this account is an absolute winner. Ingredients and a method for each of her beautiful creations can be seen in the caption or comments below her insta posts, they are mostly vegan and plant based!

Risa @ riasnuck - Two reasons to follow this girl. First being the obvious food inspiration, lots of gorgeous pictures of nice cream, lunches, snacks, dinners. Second reason, her dog is absolutely adorable. I know most food bloggers prefer to keep their accounts strictly food but I love it when they are a tad personal. I also saw a post of a cheeky Dairy Milk bar, further proof to my motto that balance is key for a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

Cherie
 @ 
thrivingonplants Cherie is a vegan living in Australia with a whopping 41.1K followers on insta - and to be honest I do not blame them. I stumbled on to her page after searching for vegan inspiration. Her food looks absolutely delicious and at 16 it shows that you are never too young or too old to take on a healthier lifestyle.


Right - left: thrivingonplants, lenilentil, riasnuck

I hope you enjoyed this blog post, I know it's less focused on science than my previous post (Carbophobia Kibosh Part 1). I've been loving eating healthier lately and wanted to share this recipe with you whilst including a little information on why bananas are good for us. If you would like me to go into more depth on any specifics i.e. vitamins or other types of food please leave suggestions in the comments below! I'd also love to know of your favourite foodie instagrams and twitter accounts. If you happen to try the recipe let me know what you think :) Follow me on twitter (@xhc__) and feel free to let me know what you want to see next. Have a great week! :D

References
J B Ubbink, et al. Vitamin B-12, vitamin B-6, and folate nutritional status in men with hyperhomocysteinemia. American Journal of Nutrition. 2012.
E B Rimm et al. Folate and Vitamin B6 From Diet and Supplements in Relation to Risk of Coronary Heart Disease Among Women. JAMA. 1998
M Clarke et al. B-vitamin status in relation to bone mineral density in treated celiac disease patients. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2015.
H-X. Wang et al. Vitamin B12 and folate in relation to the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology. 2001.
H Hemilä. Vitamin C and the common cold. British Journal of Nutrition. 2002.
Institute of Medicine (IOM). Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes: Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D and Fluoride. Washington, DC: National Academy Press. 1997.
R K Rude. Magnesium. In: Coates PM, Betz JM, Blackman MR, Cragg GM, Levine M, Moss J, White JD, eds. Encyclopedia of Dietary Supplements. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Informa Healthcare.
R K Rude. Magnesium. In: Ross AC, Caballero B, Cousins RJ, Tucker KL, Ziegler TR, eds. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. 11th ed. Baltimore, Mass: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2012.
F Yun-Zhong et al. Free radicals, antioxidants, and nutrition. Nutrition. 2002.
U.S. Department of Agriculture: "Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Report on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010: Sodium, Potassium, and Water.



5 comments :

  1. Awesome read. Love the way you place other's diets and feelings into your writing style. Very good on you. Always been reading these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey all know about the best you can get from bananas read the health benefits of bananas and also you have known about ginger also read about health benefits of garlic

    ReplyDelete
  3. woow information is very nice , it 's a lot of benefits linings , one for cancer .. thank you for the information to me especially ..
    obat penyakit usus buntu

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts

Blog Post Updates Via Email

Contact Me!

Name

Email *

Message *